Christopher Hui slams US tariff situation as a fiasco

Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury Christopher Hui on Saturday hit out at US President Donald Trump’s decision to charge an additional 10 percent tariff on all imports, describing the situation in the US as a fiasco. The additional levy, he said, only serves to underscore Hong Kong’s unique trade advantages. “If you look at what Hong Kong... one of the advantages is the certainty in terms of how we regulate the market and the overall stability of our overall environment,” Hui said. “And this fiasco, I think, basically highlights the importance of Hong Kong in this area. “We'll continue to see Hong Kong as a very strong and also a very safe haven for global investors and also global corporates to invest and also to station here.” On a radio programme earlier in the day, Hui pointed to Hong Kong’s robust start to initial public offerings, with more than HK$87 billion being raised on the stock market via 24 listings, and another 480 IPOs in the pipeline. Hui reminded people of claims made a few years ago that Hong Kong was “dropping out of the top three global financial centres”, affecting its status as a financial hub. He dismissed such concerns, saying the SAR just needed to remain confident in the opportunities generated by technological progress and China's development. Edited by Robert Kemp