Marcos to Matibag: Make NBI stronger

PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has charged newly appointed National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Melvin Matibag to make the bureau a stronger instrument against crime, Malacañang said Saturday. Executive Secretary Ralph Recto conveyed the president’s instruction to Matibag after the administration of his oath on Friday. ​Recto said he believes Matibag will live up to the high standard of service required of an NBI director. ​”I say this with confidence because he brings with him experience in equally challenging government jobs he performed in the past, with distinction and dedication,” Recto said in a statement. ​”Added to this is his deep respect for and knowledge of the law, the faithful observance of which is an NBI hallmark, the reason why it remains esteemed as an effective crime-fighting unit,” he added. ​Recto thanked outgoing NBI Director Lito Magno, whom he said served with integrity in the finest NBI tradition. ​Matibag’s appointment was earlier announced by Palace Press Officer Claire Castro, who noted the choice of the new NBI chief was the president’s prerogative. She said the president saw in Matibag someone who could be trusted and who could work for the government. ​Matibag previously served as acting Cabinet secretary in March 2022 during the final months of former president Rodrigo Duterte’s term. ​He was also the secretary-general of PDP-Laban, the political party of Duterte, whose family is now at odds with the Marcos administration. ​Matibag resigned as the party’s secretary-general in 2023. ​Some of Matibag’s previous posts include Manila International Airport Authority general manager and National Transmission Corp. president. ​He also served as a legal instructor with several universities in the Philippines. ​Matibag is the husband of Laguna Rep. Ma. Rene Ann Lourdes Matibag.