'We are tired of constant deaths' - Congo residents vow for peace as DRC-M23 ceasefire collapses

"Clashes have resumed in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo despite a ceasefire reached between the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the M23 group, which was due to take effect on 18 February. "The AFC-M23 has never violated the ceasefire," the AFC-M23 spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka spoke from Goma on Sunday. "Kinshasa continues to bomb every day, sending its drones, fighter jets, and heavy artillery to kill Congolese people in these populated areas." Meanwhile, the Congolese army released a statement reporting that between Wednesday and Thursday the truce initiative had been violated, when M23 fighters attacked several positions in North Kivu and South Kivu provinces. Analysts say the lack of trust between the parties and the absence of enforcement mechanisms undermine the chances of success. "Without mutual trust between the parties, it is completely impossible for this ceasefire agreement to come into effect," Salem Mukoko, an independent analyst and researcher in strategic studies and peaceful conflict resolution, said. In Goma, which has been under M23-AFC control since January 2025, residents described growing uncertainty as reports of clashes persist. "The problem is dialogue between the Congolese government and the M23. A ceasefire will not solve anything. Let the Kinshasa government and the M23 government listen to each other. We just want peace. We have already suffered, we are tired of the constant deaths," said Muhindo Baseme, a local. "We heard about the ceasefire, but in South Kivu and Masisi, they are still fighting. There is combat, and people are fleeing en masse and are being displaced. We haven't yet seen the significance of this ceasefire," added Kasereka Alexis, another Goma resident. Clashes have continued in eastern DRC despite a ceasefire brokered by the United States and an accompanying economic agreement. Kinshasa has repeatedly accused Rwanda of backing the M23 rebel movement, an allegation Kigali denies. The conflict has left over five million people displaced, as 15 million require humanitarian assistance. About 337,000 Congolese civilians found shelter in refugee camps across neighbouring Burundi and Tanzania."