GB News
A murder probe has been launched after an elderly couple visiting South Africa’s famous Kruger National Park were found dead with multiple stab wounds while floating in a crocodile-infested river. The victims, believed to be a 71-year-old man and his wife, were discovered in the Limpopo River on Friday. Other tourists visiting the wildlife reserve made the grim discovery after spotting the blood-covered bodies in the water. Park rangers had spent days searching for the couple after they failed to return to their accommodation earlier in the week. TRENDING Stories Videos Your Say The pair were last seen entering the park through Pafuri Gate on May 17, travelling in a green Ford Ranger pickup truck. Concern grew when they failed to return to their camp after several days, prompting a major search operation across the reserve. Their bodies were eventually found near Crook’s Corner - a remote river crossing where the borders of South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique meet. The location is around 20 minutes away from the camp where the tourists are believed to have been staying. Their vehicle was missing from the scene. South African Police confirmed they are investigating two counts of murder alongside a hijacking offence. "We have made no arrests but are following up very strong leads," a police spokesman said. The killings are believed to be the first murders recorded inside Kruger National Park in its 100-year history. CRIME - READ THE LATEST: Labour launches urgent review after teen rapists who 'laughed' filming sex attacks avoid jail Man arrested after five stabbed following ‘altercation’ in broad daylight on busy London street Rapist jailed after attacking girl, 14, in Glasgow flat while on bail for grooming children The identities of the couple have not yet been released publicly. Kruger National Park employs around 750 armed rangers, primarily tasked with preventing poaching involving rhinos and elephants. Strictly monitored entry points and heavy security have historically meant violent crime inside the reserve is considered extremely rare. A source within the park told The Sun: "We have never had an incident like this in the history of the Kruger and we are praying that this does not cause a major tourist knee jerk reaction who decide it is no longer a safe place to visit." "This is an extremely safe national park and this has shocked us all," they added. The park attracts large numbers of British, American and German tourists every year and generates an estimated £275million annually through tourism. South African National Parks said it was "shocked and saddened" by the discovery of the holidaymakers’ bodies. The conservation authority confirmed the couple’s next of kin had been informed and said it would assist the grieving family with transport to Limpopo alongside accommodation and repatriation costs. "Out of respect for the family and to allow investigations to proceed unhindered, no further comment will be provided at this stage," it added. Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter
Go to News Site