GB News
A White House Correspondent was forced to dive for cover on air after a gunman opened fire at a White House security checkpoint. Selena Wang was recording a video on the North Lawn when the gunfire began. The ABC Correspondent said: "It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now." Footage captured Ms Wang discussing the potential Iran agreement before the sound of shooting abruptly interrupted her broadcast. TRENDING Stories Videos Your Say Secret Service personnel ordered remaining reporters to get down as they evacuated the North Lawn area, with the main press pool having departed roughly an hour earlier. The incident unfolded shortly after 6pm when an armed individual approached a Secret Service post on the 17th Street side of the complex, near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. He was shot dead by Secret Service agents on Saturday evening, with President Donald Trump inside the building but unharmed during the attack. Mr Trump, 79, was conducting negotiations on an Iran peace deal with Middle Eastern leaders in the Oval Office when the shooting erupted outside. Several presidential aides, including Steven Cheung, Natalie Harp and Margo Martin, were present with the president at the time of the attack. The White House was immediately placed under lockdown following the gunfire, though officials confirmed the complex was never breached. Journalists still on the White House grounds reported hearing approximately 30 shots ring out as they scrambled for safety. A civilian caught in the violence remains in critical condition in hospital, with authorities unable to confirm whether they were struck by the attacker or during the exchange of fire. LATEST DEVELOPMENTS Gunman shot dead outside White House after opening fire near Donald Trump's official residence Nigel Farage's phone 'hacked by Russian agents who leaked details of £5million gift' British man, 23, killed in action in Ukraine as tributes pour in The suspected gunman had a documented history of mental health problems and had previously come to the attention of the Secret Service, according to sources familiar with the investigation. Authorities revealed the individual had violated a court order prohibiting him from entering the White House vicinity and had made claims of being Jesus Christ. The Secret Service confirmed in a statement that preliminary findings indicated the attacker removed a weapon from his bag before firing at officers stationed at the checkpoint. None of the agents sustained injuries during the confrontation. FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed his agency's involvement in the ongoing investigation. He said: "FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds - we will update the public as we're able." Saturday's attack marks the fourth assassination attempt against Mr Trump, coming just one month after an armed individual stormed a security checkpoint at the White House Correspondents' Dinner on April 25. The President expressed gratitude to law enforcement on Truth Social, writing: "Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country's most cherished structure." Mr Trump used the incident to advocate for extensive security upgrades to the presidential residence, arguing the attack demonstrated the necessity of creating "the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C." House Republicans responded on X: "Thank God President Trump is safe. Endless gratitude to the Secret Service for their immediate, heroic response. Political violence has to stop." Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter
Go to News Site