Collector
Biological men to finally be barred from women's toilets... 13 months after Supreme Court ruling | Collector
Biological men to finally be barred from women's toilets... 13 months after Supreme Court ruling
GB News

Biological men to finally be barred from women's toilets... 13 months after Supreme Court ruling

Biological men will be barred from women's toilets, changing facilities and sports teams under new official guidance. The guidance is finally set to be released 13 months after last year's Supreme Court ruling - which clarified the definition of sex under the Equality Act. Bridget Phillipson is expected to confirm the official guidance on Thursday, which will state what businesses and public bodes must do under the law to protect single-sex spaces. The delay to publish the guidance has allowed hospitals and leisure centres to allow trans women into female spaces. TRENDING Stories Videos Your Say The guidance was written by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) and submitted to the Equalities Minister in September - who requested several revisions before agreeing to publish it. Helen Joyce, the director of advocacy at Sex Matters, has called for public bodies to implement the new guidance after its release at once. She told The Telegraph: "There never was any reason for employers and service providers to wait for this guidance before implementing the law." The Supreme Court was "completely clear" in its ruling that "sex has to mean sex", she added. She added: "Once the EHRC’s new statutory guidance has been published, all delaying tactics must be over. "All the organisations - including the NHS, local councils and government departments - which fell for the lie that equality law required them to allow people to self-identify their sex must now rewrite legally flawed policies." Women's rights campaign groups have said they do not expect major changes in the guidance, but will be examining the document very carefully to ensure single-sex spaces were protected. Upon Ms Phillipson's request, the EHRC has made several "tweaks" to the document - including adding more examples on how organisations can ensure trans people have access to toilets and changing rooms without falling foul of the law. LGBT - READ MORE: Andy Burnham says biological men who identify as women should be able to use female toilets Trans Indian Green Party MSP did not break immigration rules as Holyrood NOT considered employment WATCH: Bridget Phillipson declares 'full support' for Keir Starmer after Wes Streeting resignation The guidance applies to any organisation providing services to the public, including the NHS, Government departments, police, prisons, as well as private businesses such as cinemas, theatres, restaurants, shops and gyms. It also covers charities which deliver public services, such as council-run care homes or private leisure centres. One version of the guidance would have allowed organisations to question a transgender person if they should be using single-sex services due to their appearance, behaviour or concerns raised by others, it is understood. EHRC chairwoman Mary-Ann Stephenson said the guidance would give advice on ensuring "there are services provided for people who can’t or don’t want to use the services for their biological sex". In April, former EHRC chairwoman Baroness Falkner accused Ms Phillipson of putting "personal ambition" ahead of her role as Equalities Minister over fears pro-trans backbenchers would harm her chances of future promotion. Sources close to Ms Phillipson said she had asked the EHRC to guarantee clarity was included for all kinds of services. Alexandra Parmar-Yee, the director of the Trans+ Solidarity Alliance, said the guidance must ensure trans people are protected and described the law as a "mess". She said: "The earlier draft of this guidance encouraged the policing of everyone’s gender based on appearance and was focused entirely on excluding trans people. "It is vital that any new guidance ditches this and provides clarity and confidence for services and associations to keep operating on a trans-inclusive basis, as the majority do, and protects trans people’s participation in public life. "Anything less will put trans people’s safety and dignity at risk on a daily basis, and will leave this government with a toxic legacy on LGBTQ+ rights." Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter

Go to News Site