The Manila Times
MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman's investigation on Sen. Francis Escudero and Leyte 1st District Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez is at the preliminary stage, Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano said on Thursday. "Sen. Chiz Escudero's is at the preliminary investigation stage already. There was an order to submit counter-affidavit which was received by the office of Senator Chiz Escudero....I believe...our panel is just waiting for his counter-affidavit so that the preliminary investigation can proceed," Clavano said in an interview over DZBB. "Former speaker Martin Romualdez's is also at the preliminary investigation stage already too. His money laundering cases were the first to reach that stage," Clavano said. Last April, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla said that "we have been seriously preparing a case of plunder against" Escudero and Romualdez. It was in connection with the budget process. Escudero is a former Senate president and Romualdez a former speaker of the House of Representatives. "Flood control related in so many ways," Remulla said of what his office was preparing at the time. "It's actually the way that the budget was passed upon by the two houses and how many things happened to be have been implemented because of that," he said. Romualdez has said he was not part of the bicameral and small committee budget deliberations. He has also said that "I have never authorized, instructed, or allowed anyone to engage in any conduct that would betray the people or taint my name." Last year, former Public Works undersecretary Roberto Bernardo alleged Escudero had a bagman. Escudero denied this.
Go to News Site