Collector
Tennis players 'ignored', want 'respect' in Grand Slam pay dispute | Collector
Tennis players 'ignored', want 'respect' in Grand Slam pay dispute
The Manila Times

Tennis players 'ignored', want 'respect' in Grand Slam pay dispute

PARIS — World number eight Taylor Fritz said Friday that tennis players' concerns about prize money have been "ignored" by Grand Slam tournament organisers, leading to their planned protest at the French Open, which Jannik Sinner says is about "respect". The bulk of the world's top 10 will limit their media duties at the clay-court major, which starts at Roland Garros on Sunday, due to perceived low prize money. Players have claimed they are currently only paid 15 percent of the revenue from the Slams, asking for 22 percent instead. "It's not about wanting more money. It's about just wanting what's fair," Fritz told reporters in Paris. "We have been pretty patient and mild with, I'd say, our requests, and I think all of us feel it's a bit disrespectful to just be ignored when the sport is the healthiest, when I think there is a very fair partnership and open dialogue between the players and the tournaments." Sinner reiterated his call, initially made earlier this month in Rome, for organisers to show more respect to the players. "I think it's something good because without us events are not possible to play," said the world number one and red-hot French Open title favourite. "It's about the respect. We have to wait for over a year for just a small response... the best 10 players -- it's not nice." Women's world number one Aryna Sabalenka also said at the Italian Open that players might have to boycott the sport's four biggest tournaments -- the Australian, French and US Open and Wimbledon -- to "defend our rights". Fritz says a boycott has not been seriously discussed by the players, but did not rule out that it could become an option in the future. "Something does have to change if we are ignored, so that's a conversation to have, I think," said the American when asked about a potential boycott. "Right now I'm not ready to start tossing that around, because I want to really mean it if I'm going to say it." Sabalenka said her decision to protest was in order to help players lower down the rankings. "It's not easy to live in this tennis world with the percentage that we are earning," said the Belarusian. "But as a world number one, I feel like I have to stand up and fight for those players, for lower-level players, especially those who are coming back after injuries, the upcoming next generation." Reigning women's champion Coco Gauff was timing the length of her press conference and said: "This is the first real point of action that we've done. Yeah, I think I'm proud that we were all able to get on the same page." Novak Djokovic said he was not involved in the protest. - 'They don't hear you' - French Open tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said Thursday that Roland Garros organisers "would not budge" on the issue of prize money. Russia's Andrey Rublev, a 10-time Grand Slam quarter-finalist, hit out at a lack of communication from tournament organisers when players have raised their concerns. "They don't hear you. They don't answer," said the 28-year-old. "When you send the mail in, no one responds to official mail for months, it's like -- and we are doing the same thing. "Come on, guys. We are together, or you completely don't care that much that you cannot even communicate." Iga Swiatek confirmed she was also taking part in the protest, for which players will speak to the media for no longer than 15 minutes, a limit symbolically chosen to represent the 15 percent of revenue they say they receive. "We have nothing against media, obviously," said the four-time women's French Open champion. "I feel like we will do more when the tournament will do more for us." Women's world number eight Mirra Andreeva believes the players are "united" in the decision to put pressure on the Grand Slams. "I do think that we have a reason behind it, and I do think that all of us are, as I said, united and all of that," said the 19-year-old. The 2026 French Open singles champions will win 2.8 million euros ($3.3 million) this year, up from 2.55 million euros last year. The prize money on offer is larger than at the Australian Open, but smaller than at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Go to News Site