Media Insider: Stuff journalists strike over ‘insulting’ pay offer, and stand-off in collective contract talks

Media Insider: Stuff journalists strike over ‘insulting’ pay offer, and stand-off in collective contract talks

More than 140 unionised Stuff journalists are striking today, accusing the company of “hypocrisy” over what they describe as “insulting” pay offers, after the firm took “a secret payday from selling a share of the business to Trade Me”. The journalists are walking off the job between 3pm and 5pm, with pickets outside newsrooms in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, and Christchurch. Media Insider has previously revealed that staff have sought an overall pay increase of 6.5%. One source has also outlined what they called a “hardline” attempt by the company to split the collective contract into separate agreements (Masthead Publishing and Stuff Digital). Stuff Digital operates stuff.co.nz and Masthead Publishing looks after the company’s digital subscription websites and newspapers. E tū union delegate Tom Hunt said in a statement today that the company was showing contempt for its staff. “Stuff journalists have taken hit after hit to get [owner and chief executive] Sinead Boucher’s company through hard times. We accepted no increases during Covid and effectively nothing last year, because we believed the company when it told us times were tough. “To now be offered an insulting pay rise, and to see the company trying to split us into different collective agreements, is disgraceful. It shows they plan to keep screwing us for years to come. “This is from a company that boasts about being a wonderful corporate citizen, all while our owner takes a secret payday from selling a share of the business to Trade Me. The hypocrisy is staggering.” Stuff has been contacted for comment. In the same statement, another E tū delegate, Sapeer Mayron, said the strike was about “years of being undervalued”. “Stuff has shown its employees over and over again that it thinks we are replaceable and not worth investing in with decent wages and working conditions. And yet we stay, because we believe in the work and care about the communities we report in. “But after years of miserly increases, with our pay going backwards in real terms – some years with no increases at all – we simply can’t afford to keep working here unless Stuff pays us properly. That means more than CPI [the Consumers Price Index, a measure of inflation], to catch up on all those years of falling behind. “Going on strike today comes after months of asking this company to live up to its reputation in Aotearoa’s eyes and in the eyes of its staff, each of whom become more disillusioned every day as our leaders deny us the decent wages and conditions we deserve.” Editor-at-Large Shayne Currie is one of New Zealand’s most experienced senior journalists and media leaders. He has held executive and senior editorial roles at NZME including Managing Editor, NZ Herald Editor and Herald on Sunday Editor and has a small shareholding in NZME. Watch Media Insider - The Podcast on YouTube, or listen to it on iHeartRadio, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.

Snoop Dogg brings special one-off show to Auckland with DJ Snoopadelic set

Snoop Dogg brings special one-off show to Auckland with DJ Snoopadelic set

Snoop Dogg is making his way to New Zealand next month, but it won’t be just the rapper’s hip-hop persona you’ll see on stage. The music mogul will take over Manukau’s Due Drop Events Centre on September 20 with a “two-in-one experience” dubbed Snoop Dogg vs DJ Snoopadelic. The inclusion of a DJ set from DJ Snoopadelic – the rapper’s record-spinning alter-ego – is unprecedented for New Zealand and will accompany Snoop Dogg’s live performances of his greatest hits. Prominent New Zealand rapper Savage and up-and-coming star Revus have joined the one-off event to open for the rapper at the R18 event. Promoter Ange Matias from Hit Up Ange reiterated the significance of the hybrid format show. “It’s a New Zealand first,” she said. “Snoop is an icon and if you’re a fan of classic hip-hop to funk, soul and West Coast bangers, you won’t want to miss it.” Snoop Dogg, one of the most prolific musicians in his field, has more than 20 studio albums to his name, boasts 35 million album sales and has received many accolades over his 33-year career. This week, he entered the crosshairs of his fans after making passing comments on a podcast that many viewed as anti-LGBT rhetoric. Appearing on Sarah Fontenot’s It’s Giving podcast, Snoop criticised the inclusion of a same-sex couple in Disney Pixar’s 2022 film Lightyear. “Oh s***, I didn’t come in for this s***. I just came to watch the goddamn movie,” the rapper recalled. “It f***ed me up. I’m, like, scared to go to the movies now. Y’all throwing me in the middle of s*** that I don’t have an answer for.” “These are kids,” he said. “We have to show that at this age? They’re going to ask questions. I don’t have the answer.” Snoop’s newly announced New Zealand date is his first here in two and a half years. The Drop It Like It’s Hot hitmaker last played two shows in March 2023, one in Christchurch and another in Auckland. He was welcomed to Aotearoa before the shows with a pōwhiri and met a group of Kiwi teenagers from the Kākano Youth Arts Collective who gifted handmade artworks to the musician. Snoop Dogg vs DJ Snoopadelic Where: Due Drop Events Centre, Manukau, Auckland When: September 20, 2025 Tickets: Sales start at 6pm on September 1 via eventfinda.co.nz

Warriors v Eels: Why Leka Halasima has seen reduced role ahead of finals

Warriors v Eels: Why Leka Halasima has seen reduced role ahead of finals

The Warriors have returned to winning ways and are back inside the NRL’s top four with two rounds remaining before the finals, but a notable name has had a limited role during their resurgence. Leka Halasima. The teenager has enjoyed a breakout campaign in his first full season at the club, producing audacious skill and finesse, including scoring a stunning match-winning try against the Newcastle Knights - seemingly a lock for the NRL’s Try of the Year award until the Canberra Raiders’ golden point winner at the weekend. However, over the past three matches he has been relatively quiet, playing a combined 117 minutes out of a possible 240. It wasn’t until the 54th minute when Andrew Webster injected him against the Gold Coast Titans in what was statistically Halasima’s least impactful performance of the season. His 26 minutes in that game were his equal second-lowest of the season, only behind the Warriors’ round two win over the Manly Sea Eagles, where he played 19. So, what has happened to the man who is at short odds to be the NRL’s Rookie of the Year? For Webster, his plan for the 19-year-old has been clear: it is about quality over quantity. Webster has previously said he feels Halasima performs better off the bench, where he can be an impact player rather than a workhorse. Injuries had forced Halasima to play big minutes and in recent weeks he has shown signs of fatigue. With players returning, Webster has taken the opportunity to allow Halasima to have some rest. And while he will one day become that 80-minute player, Webster is happy for him to develop organically instead of forcing the issue. “Leka’s going to be an 80-minute star,” said Webster. “But I think the smart ones bring them along at the right speed and the right time. “If they have to play 80 sometimes because of injuries, then they play 80, but then you have got to pull them back. “But we understand that’s where he’s at. He’s 19 and we’re okay that he’s going to improve and eventually he’s going to be an 80-minute player. “We’re doing the right thing by him.” In total, he is one of four players - alongside Adam Pompey, Erin Clark and Marata Niukore - to have played in all 22 matches this season, logging 1217 minutes out of a possible 1760. Injuries have been a significant issue for the Warriors over the past three months, forcing numerous reshuffles and seeing first-choice second rowers Kurt Capewell and Niukore deployed at centre and prop respectively. As a result, Halasima has picked up extra workload, and while he has handled it for the most part, there have been signs he is feeling the effects of the additional responsibility - highlighted in the Warriors’ last-minute defeat to the Dolphins in Auckland. Halasima struggled during that match and made three handling errors, but the most notable incident occurred in the final set when he was down on the ground with cramp in both legs as the Dolphins scored in the opposite corner to steal victory. Andrew Webster said Halasima had cramp in both his legs. NRL great Cooper Cronk criticised Halasima for his actions, suggesting even just placing his body in the defensive line could have prevented a try, and adding that unless he had a serious injury, he needed to do more. Webster acknowledges the mistakes Halasima made but insists they are part of his journey. “He physically couldn’t move,” said Webster. “We love him, so we’re being patient and I’ll tell you there’s going to be a time when we need him to play 80 again. That’ll come. “That’s where he’s at in his career and his tackling - at times it’s great, at times it’s not.” Halasima has come off the bench 10 times this season, while six of his 10 tries have come in games where he hasn’t played the full 80. Halasima is signed to the Warriors until the end of the 2029 NRL season. He’s been named on the interchange bench again for Friday’s home clash against the Parramatta Eels. Ben Francis is an Auckland-based reporter for the New Zealand Heral...