Aussie Iranian community under attack after expulsion

Aussie Iranian community under attack after expulsion

Australians of Iranian heritage face verbal abuse and intimidation over Tehran’s “insidious” direction of two anti-Semitic attacks in the nation’s largest cities. The Albanese government has taken the extraordinary step of booting Iranian ambassador Ahmad Sadeghi from Australia, making him the first high-ranking diplomat to be expelled since World War II. The nation’s spy agency […]

‘Inconsequential’ texts, leaked letters and expensive clothes: five takeaways from the Higgins v Reynolds defamation ruling

‘Inconsequential’ texts, leaked letters and expensive clothes: five takeaways from the Higgins v Reynolds defamation ruling

WA supreme court judge releases 360-page ruling finding Higgins defamed her former boss Reynolds in social media posts Get our breaking news email , free app or daily news podcast On Wednesday, the Western Australian supreme court ruled Brittany Higgins had defamed her ex-boss , Linda Reynolds, when she accused the former Liberal senator of mishandling her rape allegation. The state supreme court judge Paul Tottle ruled the former defence minister’s reputation was damaged by a 2022 social media post from Higgins’ partner David Sharaz, which Higgins responded to, and an Instagram story published by Higgins in July 2023. Continue reading...

TikTok owner set to launch share buyback valuing company at $330bn

TikTok owner set to launch share buyback valuing company at $330bn

ByteDance plans to offer employees $200.41 per share, up 5.5% from $189.9 six months ago, as revenue grows ByteDance, the owner of short-video app TikTok, is set to launch a new employee share buyback that will value the Chinese technology giant at more than $330bn, driven by continued revenue growth, said three people with knowledge of the matter. The company plans to offer current employees $200.41 per share in the repurchase program, the people said, up 5.5% from $189.90 each it offered them about six months ago which valued ByteDance at roughly $315bn. Continue reading...

Return of UN nuclear inspectors to Iran met with protests by MPs

Return of UN nuclear inspectors to Iran met with protests by MPs

Some Iranian officials say readmission breaches law passed after Israel and the US attacked the country in June The partial return of UN inspectors to Iran for the first time since Israel and the US attacked Iran’s nuclear sites has been met with protests by officials in Tehran, who claim the strict preconditions they set have been breached. Some even described the return as criminal. Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s foreign minister, tried to quell the backlash by saying the inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) would not be visiting any of the bombed sites and that discussions about these were still to be had. Continue reading...

Church of England abuse survivors have been failed – again

Church of England abuse survivors have been failed – again

CANTERBURY, ENGLAND - APRIL 17: Justin Welby, the Archbishop Of Canterbury delivers his Easter Sermon at Canterbury Cathedral on April 17, 2022 in Canterbury, England. A congregation of worshippers returned to Canterbury Cathedral to take part in the Easter service for the first time in two years, previously kept away by the coronavirus pandemic. This year the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, used his sermon to criticise the plans of the government to process asylum seekers to the U.K. in Rwanda, calling the policy “ungodly”. He also spoke about the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the cost of living crisis at home. (Photo by Hollie Adams/Getty Images)

Minneapolis school shooting updates: two children and shooter killed as 17 people injured

Minneapolis school shooting updates: two children and shooter killed as 17 people injured

Police say children were aged eight and 10; 14 of the injured are children as police say gunman approached during mass Multiple victims in Minneapolis Catholic school shooting and suspect reportedly dead Police are now working to determine a motive from the shooter. Speaking to reporters, police chief Brian O’Hara said: “We believe it is one suspect, a sole shooter. We believe he is deceased. He is in his early 20s, does not have an extensive known criminal history, and we are looking through information left behind to try and determine some type of motive…” “There’s a vehicle that we believe that the suspect used, that is being searched, and we will be conducting other searches related to this inside the parking lot,” he said. “This worship service was marking the first week of school for children that are attending the Annunciation Catholic school. During the mass, a gunman approached on the outside, on the side of the building and began firing a rifle through the church windows, towards the children sitting in the pews at the mass. Continue reading...