Davina Perrin hits quickest Hundred ton to fire Northern Superchargers women into final

Davina Perrin hits quickest Hundred ton to fire Northern Superchargers women into final

Northern Superchargers, 214-5, bt London Spirit, 172-9, by 42 runs Superchargers smash Hundred record team score by 33 runs The 18-year-old Davina Perrin made history with a 42-ball century to lift the Northern Superchargers into the final of the Hundred as they defeated London Spirit, the defending champions, by 42 runs in the eliminator. Perrin became only the second woman after Tammy Beaumont in 2023 to reach three figures in the 100-ball tournament with a stunning 101 off 43 balls, which included 15 fours and five sixes at the Oval. It was the fastest ton in the women’s competition and second quickest overall, with only Harry Brook’s 41-ball hundred for the Superchargers against Welsh Fire in 2023 eclipsing this salvo from Perrin. When that was put to her, Perrin, who was run out at the non-striker’s end, laughed and told Sky Sports: “One ball? Damn, I better hit the gym so I can send those sixes a bit further! Continue reading...

New York City declares Harlem legionnaire’s disease outbreak over

New York City declares Harlem legionnaire’s disease outbreak over

Local hospital’s cooling tower was found to be harboring the bacteria after seven people died and 90 were hospitalized over three weeks New York City has declared the deadly legionnaires’ disease outbreak in central Harlem over, nearly three weeks since it began. On Friday, city health officials announced that there have been no new cases among residents who live or work in the area since 9 August. As of Friday, there have been 114 cases of legionnaires’ disease, with 90 people hospitalized – six of those remaining in hospital – and seven deaths. Continue reading...

'Predator has to pay' - VdL on advancing use of Russian frozen assets, dodges question on EU consensus

'Predator has to pay' - VdL on advancing use of Russian frozen assets, dodges question on EU consensus

"European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen underscored the advancement of using Russian frozen assets as part of its 'ironclad' support to Ukraine during a joint press conference with Estonian Prime Minister Kristen Michal in Amari on Saturday. "We are also advancing the work on the use of the Russian frozen assets because it's clear that the predator has to pay for what he did," she said. "They are probing our vulnerabilities, specifically in the Baltic airspace and at sea[...] We have to raise attention to the strategic importance of the Baltic Sea," she continued. Von der Leyen also claimed that US President Donald Trump pledged 'American presence' in security guarantees for Ukraine. "We need the backstop of the Americans. They will provide," she stated.  Following his meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and other European leaders, Trump ruled out the participation of American ground troops in security guarantees. However, he expressed openness to providing air support.  Commenting on frozen Russian forfeiture, Von der Leyen dodged a question of 'consensus' among European Union (EU) state members on the issue. "We are already using the frozen assets," she continued. "So far, 3.7 billion euros from the windfall profits have been channelled to Ukraine, but we are also reflecting currently on the next steps and how to best and better use the frozen assets." Meanwhile, Michal emphasised the assets confiscation is not decided yet, noting that its 'certain risks[...] probably can be mitigated.' EU foreign ministers appeared divided over the confiscation of Russian assets ahead of ministerial meetings in Copenhagen on the same day. While Estonian Margus Tsahkna advocated for the confiscation as the source of 'lots of money' needed for Ukraine, Belgian Maxime Prevot strongly opposed the move, citing 'legal, financial, and judicial' consequences.  Approximately 210 billion euros ($245.85 billion) in Russian assets are frozen within the bloc due to sanctions linked to Moscow's operation in Ukraine, according to the EU. While Ukraine and several Baltic states urged the seizure of the assets and allocating them to support Kiev, major EU members, including France and Germany, have opposed the idea, questioning the legal basis for confiscation. "